I am willing to write recommendation
letters for academic use
for my students, mainly on the following conditions:
- The student has a GPA of at least 7/10
- The student received (or is projected to receive) at
least an 8 in my course
- There are no violations of the HSE ethics code for this
With respect to the strength
of the letter, for those who have not worked
with me on their thesis, it will depend on their grade in my
- With an 8, I will write a "good" letter - not suitable
for PhD programs
- With a 9, I will write a "strong" letter - not suitable
for top 20 PhD programs
- With a 10, I will write an "outstanding" letter.
For a request for
recommendation, candidates must email me and
provide me with the following information:
- Your full name (in English and in Russian) and which
course you took with me
- Your group number while you were taking my course and
when it was (year)
- Your CV
- Transcript from current degree, your average grade, and
your most recent ranking
- List of programs you consider to apply
- Statement of purpose (only for students I advise).
Letters will be uploaded
directly to university application portals. Students have to
arrange for me to receive the email invitation at least 10
days before the deadline at email@example.com.
Have in mind
that, for consideration of your application by any decent
institution, the most crucial factors in order of importance
are: GRE/GMAT, letters, GPA and then everything else. Your
letters have to be strong, but also written by professors
who have world class publications and active presence in the
international scientific community. If your target is a
strong graduate degree, try to work on your projects with
this kind of people to get them to know you and, thus, allow
them to write a strong and convincing letter on your behalf. Select
the professors that will write your letters on the
- Their international reputation
- Your performance in their courses
- The interaction you have with them (advising, projects,
common interests etc).
soliciting a letter from a professor who gave you a grade
below your general average. Even if the professor has the
best intention such letters will hurt your application
instead of helping it.
non-academic recommendation I will serve as a
reference person on the basis of my experience with the student,
the student's professional behavior and work ethics. A grade of
at least a 8 is necessary plus some interaction with me.
For a request for
a business recommendation, students must provide me with the
- Your full name and which course you took with me
- The section you were enrolled and when it was (year and term)
- Your CV
- Description of the vacancy.
I do not provide
recommendation letters to students for professional purposes.
After my permission is granted, the student can make my name and
contacts available to the potential employer, who can contact me
to talk about the candidate or to submit a letter directly to
their corporate address.